Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Would I want to know Morel?

I'm not sure. Mainly because I'm not sure how willing I would be to be a part of the experiment. I mean for all I know I was already made a part of the experiment. Maybe Casares is from another dimension who knows all about our unfortunate fall into the hands of this great tyrant and has somehow slipped this piece of literature into our libraries to tell is about what's happened. Maybe I'll start yelling "I Love You, *insert name here*" to people just to make sure Morel doesn't yet have a hold on my soul.

But really, would it matter it I was living that life? If I was some reproduction of myself a few years or a few centuries or a few days ago and have just been living a week over and over again would I be that upset? Again, not sure. If so, I'll be honest, I'd have to hand it to Morel. I've had a pretty good repetitious week. I feel my emotions (or what i think are my emotions) rather strongly, well strongly enough that I would be afraid to know if they were watered down from my previous self.

Is it possible that the main character invented Morel to maybe make peace with the mysterious Elisa and the fact that he was not able to make a life with her? Maybe he is mad and the invention of Morel was really an offshoot of the invention of Morel. Had he created this world it would counter what he might have hinted to about no wanting to live. The back and forth the main character has about life and death is very interesting. Looking back at certain passages of the book I can't help but wonder if there was some sort of hint at his life and or death in regards to the intruders.

"I was not dead until the intruders arrived; when one is alone it is impossible to be dead. Now I must eliminate the witnesses before I can come back to life. That will not be difficult: I do not exist, and therefore they will not suspect their own destruction" (54)

Maybe our main character is really dead and a ghost inhabitting the island and the presense of the intruders shows him that he is, in fact, dead. By inventing Morel and his machine and the others, the main character finds a way to "eliminate" them. They are no longer real and so they cannot witness his being dead. The invention of Morel is the key to staying alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment